Last 2011, during the 113th celebration of Cinco de Noviembre in Silay City, Negros Occidental, a US-based doctor was one of the five Negrense achievers that was recognized by the provincial government.
Dr. Ramon Gustilo is a renowned orthopedic surgeon, scientist and inventor. He is recognized worldwide for his achievements in the field of medicine. He has been successful in both academic medicine and orthopedic device design.
Dr. Gustilo is one of the inventors of the Genesis knee replacement system and has 12 patents awarded to him by the US government for his inventions in the field of orthopedics. It is an achievement that we Filipinos should be proud of.
A brief biography of Dr. Ramon Gustilo:
• In 1953, he received his Bachelor's degree in the field of Pre-Medicine, from the University of the Philippines.
• He continued with Medical School at the University of the Philippines, and graduated in 1957, passed his Board examination, and immediately thereafter went to the United States for further training.
• He applied for and was accepted in the Orthopaedic Residency program of the University of Minnesota.
• His wife's name is Gloria Carlson. They have five wonderful children.
• He initiated, funded, and successfully completed research on bone blood flow, which earned him his Master's degree of Orthopaedic Surgery.
• He became a full Professor at the University of Minnesota, and served on many of its committees, and as a member of the top leadership of the University of Minnesota Orthopaedic Surgery Department.
• He is also a consultant to the United States Surgeon General with a rank of full Colonel.
• In 1969, he served as the Chairman of the Twin City Society.
• In 1974 and 1975 he served as the State Representative of the Subcommittee on Injuries to the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, for which he was the Chairman for 5 years.
• Dr. Gustilo's international reputation as a leader in the field of orthopaedic surgery was first gained due to his painstaking work classifying open fractures, and recommending treatment based on classification. His leadership in the care of patients with orthopaedic injuries resulted in his establishment of the Orthopaedic Trauma Hospital Association and the Orthopaedic Trauma Association. He was founding President of both of these organizations.
• Along with his work on open fractures, Dr. Gustilo established a rare expertise in musculoskeletal infections, and established a Musculoskeletal Sepsis research unit that remains pre-eminent in the world for basic research, and for recommending optimal clinical treatments.
• Dr. Gustilo's academic interests have benefited hundreds of orthopaedic residents and fellows who have been fortunate to be his student. He always has time for teaching, and is superb in organizing seminars, courses, and in being a Visiting Professor himself over 22 Visiting Professorships in 63 institutions, nationally and internationally
• Dr. Gustilo had published over 31 chapters in Orthopaedic Textbooks, 89 full length articles in various journals and he has been invited to give over 143 lectures both nationally and internationally. Working with his clinical fellows, Biomechanics and infectious disease colleagues, Dr. Gustilo has forged a very innovative, productive, and prescient research group.
• Another outlet for Dr. Gustilo's enormous creativity and business sense is his extremely successful work as a surgeon innovator. The holder of 9 patents, Dr. Gustilo designed and commercialized one of the earliest total knee replacements (Gustilo knee). He also designed the first hip replacement approved by the United States Food and Drug Administration for use without bone cement (BIAS Hip), and one of the most successful of the current generation of total knee replacements (Genesis knee). He also has designed surgical instrumentation, and fracture fixation devices and implants.
• In 1992 Dr. Gustilo founded his own company, Orthopaedic Innovations, Inc. (OII), whose mission is to design, manufacture and market sophisticated quality and yet affordable orthopedic implants to Pacific Rim countries. OII has already established a manufacturing plant in the Philippines, and has several products on the market in Asia, and will soon be on the market in the United States as well.
Dr. Gustilo, is another Negrense Pride! A Filipino Pride!