The Philippine banana export industry is the third biggest in the world and the only Asian country among the top 5 according to the Pilipino Banana Growers and Exporters Association.
Latundan, or apple bananas, also called as tundan, silk bananas, manzana bananas are tiploidhybrid banana cultivars. It is one of the most common banana cultivars in the Philippines along with "lacatan" and "saba" bananas.
Latundan banabas require full or partial sun exposure. It typically reaches a height of 10-13 feet. The fruits are round-tipped with thin yellow skin that splits once fully ripe and its flowers are yellow, purple or in ivory in color.
Latundan bananas are smaller than the Lacatan cultivar and the commercially dominant Cavendish bananas. It has a slightly acidic, apple-like flavor. It is a popular banana dessert and is also cultivated as ornament plants.
Did you know that you can make crackers out of latundan banana peel? Here's how:
• Choose ripe latundan peel
• Cut the peels according to your size preference
• Beat egg in a separate bowl, add salt and black pepper to taste
• You can add other flavors too such as barbecue and chili
• Dip banana peel strips in beaten egg then roll well on flour
• Heat oil
• Fry the banana peel strips until golden brown
photos/source/reference: en.wikipedia.org | pbgea.org | foodrecap.net