Tamilok Ceviche (Kinilaw) is a perfect appetizer for the gastronomic adventurer. Palawan locals swear that the woordworm is best tried with a bottle of cold beer (the better to wash out the taste). Aside from eaten raw, the tamilok can be served with local vinegar spiced with chopped onions, garlic and chili.
How to enjoy eating it:
1. On a plate full of mangrove worms (shipworms), pick a size that you can swallow (ask your friends to be ready and capture a Kodak moment).
2. Dunk it into the the spiced vinegar (like how you dunk an Oreo cookie into a glass of milk).
3. Wait for the perfect moment, pull it from the vinegar as you would have pulled a spaghetti pasta strip.
4. Place it on your mouth, close your eyes and swallow. Don’t forget to bite some of it before it goes all the way down to your esophagus.
5. Say masabor gale! (“delicious” in Palawan/Cuyunon dialect)
"The first try was followed by a second one, this time a longer piece, then a third one until it was all gone (parang natapon lang).", James, the traveller shared.
You are brave enough to taste this.Enjoy!