Suman-Latik is a native delicacy of Leyte. A mouth-watering dessert that you and your family will surely enjoy. The combination of suman and latik gives a remarkable taste which will push you to crave for more. It is commonly serve during fiestas, birthdays and other special occasions.
You can also try making Suman-Latik at home by simply following the basic steps below.
For the suman
2 klg glutinous rice (malagkit/pilit)
Hagikhik (talipopo) leaf
For the latik
Kalamay or Brown Sugar
1. Soak the glutinous rice in water for 30 minutes
2. Boil the rice until partially cooked
3. Mixed the liya until the rice will be cooked thoroughly
4. The cooked glutinous rice will be wrapped with hagikhik leaf. It will be wrapped in triangular shape.
5. Once all the suman has been wrapped already, it will be steamed for another 30 minutes. The process will cook the leaf and the glutinous rice completely
6. For the latik, prepare a pan which is enough to hold the mixture and place it on fire.
7. When the pan becomes hot, pour the coconut milk and enough kalamay. You can use brown sugar instead but it is more suitable to use Kalamay.
8. Continue mixing the latik until it becomes thick.
9. Place the latik in a container and serve it including the suman.
Marisse Pabro Cadayong
Leyte Normal University ABCom Intern