You can find corn almost anywhere. May it be as a street food, in muffins, ingredients in cooking, an ice cooler like mais con yielo, movie snacks such as popcorn and many more.
Do you know the health benefits you can get in eating corn?
Here are some:
1. Rich Source of Calories
2. Prevention of Hemorrhoids and Colorectal Cancer
3. Rich Source of Vitamins: A, B, E, Thiamin and Niacin.
4. Provides Necessary Minerals: phosphorus, magnesium, manganese, zinc, iron and copper
5. Antioxidant Properties of Corn: rich source of antioxidants which fight the cancer causing free radicals; phenolic compound ferulic acid; Anthocyanins
6. Cardio-Protective Attributes: anti-atherogenic effect on the cholesterol levels
7. Prevents Anemia: vitamin B12 and folic acid
8. Lowering LDL Cholesterol
9. Protection against Diabetes and Hypertension
10. Cosmetic Benefits: soothe skin rashes and irritations
Corn is a rich source of many essential nutrients and fiber. A meal rich in corn can go a long way in protecting against many diseases and ailments.
Here's a guide on how to steam a corn on the cob from eHow.com
Steaming corn takes much less time than boiling corn, and it allows the corn to retain its flavor, nutrients and color.
1. Shuck the corn on the cob, and be sure to remove the husk and all of the silk from the ear of corn.
2. Put approximately 1/2-inch of water in the bottom of your steam pot. If you add too much water, the corn will just boil instead of steam.
3. Place the pot on a burner on your stovetop and set the heat to high.
4. Add the steaming insert into the pot and put the corn on the cob in the steaming insert. Place the lid on the pot.
5. Bring the water in the steam pot to a boil, and allow the corn on the cob to steam cook for approximately 15 to 20 minutes, or until done.
6. Remove the lid from the steam pot. Take the hot corn out of the steam pot using tongs.
7. Serve the hot, steamed corn on the cob with butter, salt and pepper if desired.
Tips and Warnings
• If necessary, use cool water and a soft-bristled brush to help you remove all of the silk from the corn on the cob.
• Place the corn in a single layer in the steaming insert. This allows all of the corn to cook evenly.
I Love Tacloban FB page