Fish balls are probably the most famous street food in the Philippines. You can find vendors in any side of the streets who sells this with other equally famous street food like tempura, kwek-kwek and etc. It is enjoyed by both young and old.
Fish balls are flat and circular in shape. It is sold skewered on sticks, dipped in sauces (sweet and sour or spicy). It is very affordable and liked by everyone by all walks of life.
Here's a recipe from lutongpinoy.info that you can try.
• 2 cups flaked fish
• 4 tbsp flour
• fresh or evaporated milk
• 2 tbsp kinchay or spring onion stalks, finely chopped
• oil for sautéing
• soy sauce
• salt and pepper to taste
1. In a bowl, mix flaked fish, flour and milk. Add salt and pepper, kinchay or spring onions.
2. Refrigerate mixture until it is firm and sticky.
3. Form mixture into small balls.
4. Boil water in a saucepan. Drop balls into the water, remove, and then sauté in oil until brown.
5. Serve fish balls with sweet-and-sour sauce.
6. To make sauce; Combine soy sauce, vinegar and sugar.
Now, here's how to make a fish ball sauce
• 1/3 cup soy sauce
• 1/3 cup vinegar
• 1/3 tbsp. sugar
• 1 cup water
• 1 slice siling labuyo
• 1 tbsp. cornstarch dissolved in
• 1-2 tbsp. water
1. Mix the sauce sauce, vinegar, sugar, water and siling labuyo in a saucepan.
2. Let it boil then add cornstarch.
3. Cook over medium heat until slightly thick.
photos/source/reference: panlasangpinoy.com | lutongpinoy.info