Sizzling bulalo is the house specialty of Royal Suite Inn in Dumaguete City. A must try if you're in town! But, as delicious as it looks and smell, be reminded that this dish is not good for those with health issues most especially with cholesterol or high blood if it's over indulged. So control your appetite!
An order cost at around Php490 (but not more than Php500, rice and drinks are not included) is already good for 3-4 persons depending on your appetite. You will get a very large bone (beef shank) on a large sizzling platter where its bone marrow is already mixed with the gravy (it tastes like creamy butter).
I can't find the Royal Suite's sizzling bulalo recipe but you can try this one out.
How to make Sizzling Bulalo
• 1 1/2 lbs beef shank
• 1 piece cooked sweet corn, cooked
• 10 ounces condensed cream of mushroom soup
• 2 teaspoons garlic powder
• 1 1/2 cups fresh white mushrooms, sliced
• 4 tablespoons butter
• 2 teaspoons salt
• 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
• 3 3/4 cups water
1. Make the mushroom gravy
• Heat a cooking pot or sauce pan then add the 1 tablespoon butter and melt.
• Put-in the mushroom and sauté for 3 minutes
• Add the condensed cream of mushroom soup then stir
• Pour 3/4 cup water; add 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper then stir. Simmer for 5 minutes or until the sauce thickens.
• Set aside.
2. Arrange beef shank in a cooking pot then sprinkle 1 teaspoon salt.
3. Pour 3 cups water and apply heat. Let boil and simmer until the beef is tender. Remove from the cooking pot and place in a clean plate. Note: add water as needed.
4. Season both sides of the beef with 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, and garlic powder. Set aside.
5. Heat a pan then add 2 tablespoons butter. Let the butter melt.
6. Pan-fry both sides of the beef for at least 2 minutes per side.
7. Heat the sizzling plate (metal plate) then put-in 1 tablespoon butter and let melt.
8. Arrange the pan fried beef on the sizzling plate, top with mushroom gravy, and place the corn on the side.
9. Serve hot. Share and enjoy!
Aside from its restaurant that serves good food, Dumaguete Royal Suite Inn is a convenient place for relaxation and has a bar that serves your favorite drinks. It is located in Rovira Road, Bantayan, Dumaguete City, Negros Oriental, Philippines 6200. You can call them at (035) 225-2194, (035) 225-2197 or (035)422-1453 for inquiries.
How to Get There:
From Manila, you can fly to Dumaguete (estimated cost of Php4,000++, round trip, one hour and 15 minutes).
Royal Suite Inn is just 5 minutes away from the airport, 15 minutes from the port and commercial centers. From Dumaguete domestic airport, you can take a pedicab or arrange for hotel transfer. From Dumaguete City proper you can ride a tricycle (Php8.00 per head) and if you're from the Port you can also take a tricycle.