"Ampalaya with dilis" is a Filipino budget meal usually paired with "utan bisaya" (vegetable soup). It is a healthy simple Cebuano dish made with ampalaya topped with dilis.
Ampalaya is a Filipino word for bitter gourd or bitter melon while "dilis" are dried anchovies.
Here's a simple recipe that you can follow.
• 1 cup dried dilis
• 1 large size ampalaya, sliced
• 1 medium size tomato, chopped
• 1 small size onion, chopped
Procedure - Ampalaya
1. Put around 2 cups of water in a pan. Bring to a boil.
2. Turn off heat when the water is boiling. Add the sliced ampalaya and blanch for 1-2 minutes.
3. Drain the hot water. Transfer the ampalaya on a separate bowl and soak it in ice-cooled water for a minute. Drain.
4. Toss the ampalaya with onions and tomatoes on a separate bowl. Set aside.
Procedure - Dilis
1. In a frying pan, add cooking oil just enough to coat the bottom. Heat oil.
2. Add dilis and stir cook for 1-2 minutes or until it starts to darken. Do not over fry.
3. Remove from pan and toss it on the prepared ampalaya.
Serve while the dilis is still crispy.
You might have a better recipe for ampalaya with dilis, share it on www.choosephils.com